RULES IN BRIEF
- The story should have no more than 500 words….less is fine
- The subject matter must be horse racing but you decide what aspect of horse racing that is!
- The following 5 MAGIC WORDS must all be used:
- You must indicate the age grouping the story is being entered into
- Your entry much be received by August 31st, 2020
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE FULL RULES!
THE FULL RULES
1) 5 Magic Words is a children’s writing competition that has been organised by Post Racing.
2) Entry to this competition is open to children who will be aged between 5-13 at the time of entry and full time residents of the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), with the exception of children, or close relatives, of people connected to Post Racing
3) Entries must be submitted by an adult on behalf of the child and this adult must have parental permission, if they are not the parent or guardian of the child entering the competition. This adult may be asked, with parental permission, to provide proof of age, identity and eligibility.
4) Entry will be in two age categories – ages 5-9 years and 10-13 years at the time the entry is made.
5) Entrants must write a fictional short story of no less than 400 words and, no more than 500 words. The person submitting the story on behalf of the entrant, will be asked to provide the following:
- entrant’s name
6) Please make your entries in English only.
7) We can only accept stories which are 500 words or fewer, but no less than 400. Please make sure you check the word count before making your entry, using software such as Microsoft Word.
8) Entries can only be accepted by e-mail and Post Racing cannot be held responsible for e-mails that fail to arrive because of technical issues our end, your end, or somewhere in-between!
9) The adult submitting the entrant’s story will be deemed to have read the rules. The adult must provide their own contact and personal details.
10) Only one entry per person will be allowed and the story must be written by the entrant.
11) Entries must be pure fiction and only contain characters that are fictional.
12) All entries must be the original work of the entrant.
13) Any entry that uses obscene or offensive language, will be binned!
1) All entries will be scored out of 10. Those scoring eight or higher will go onto a shortlist for each age group.
2) Each entry shortlisted will then be judged by a different judge, and again marked out of 10. This process will continue until we have our final five entries in each age category.
3) The Top five shortlisted entrants in each age category will be invited to attend a race meeting with Post Racing, at a venue to be decided, and our winners announced.
1) Post Racing’s decision as to each stage of this competition is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
2) Post Racing reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaks any of the rules
3) Post Racing reserves the right to alter the rules, or cancel this competition, at any time, if deemed necessary in its opinion and Post Racing cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure which may result in any entry not being received. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt!!
Best of luck!
SUPPORT A RACING CHARITY
One of the principle reasons Post Racing exists is to raise funding for charitable causes, both horse racing and non-horse racing related.
If you would like to make a small donation to any or all of the four charities we currently support, please visit the following: